dimanche 21 juillet 2019

ETAPE/STEP 7 - 4/4





Le jouet à trouver était :   le bureau de poste
La ville :   ARNAC LA POSTE   dans le département de la Haute-Vienne (87).

The toy was :    the post office
The town was :   ARNAC LA POSTE   in Haute-Vienne  87

Clues : 87 on the carpet, vocabulary : timbrée (=stamped which can mean here crazy), posted, delivery, bags of mail.


It's a funny town name in French because "Arnac" sounds like "arnaque" which means "rip-off " the post office". Many towns got funny names so they have come together in an association "towns with burlesque names" they gathered for an annual feast.

http://communes-aux-noms-burlesques.fr/

It is the same in Great Britain, looking for informations I found this map and some examples :

as Dull (UK) is twinned with Boring (Oregon).

Giggleswick (Settle NY) is the sister city of
Banyuls sur mer in Pyrenées.






Popular toy in the 60's  I got post office sets on Christmas day.

Mum used to make me extra stamps with gummed paper perforated with the sewing machine and tiny parcels.













Bien sûr il y a de magnifiques timbres sur la broderie
alors pourquoi de ne pas broder des timbres ?

Many lovely stamps on embroidery so why not stitch stamps.












http://www.marieclaire.fr/idees/des-timbres-brodes-au-point-de-croix,1052446.asp




I love papers, letters, decorated envelopes, stamps, wax seals, write with an old pen-holder (I learned to write with ink and pen-holder (not quill pen I'm not that old), now they call it "callygraphy" equipment!.



Remember my display for my Bayeux embroidery.














Of course, I am very interested by artmail, so when I received from Debbie this amazing envelope it was quite a surprise!


Il me reste beaucoup à découvrir
concernant l'artmail











Le jeu du facteur a eu beaucoup de succès auprès des filles et il est facile à confectionner "maison".
Amusant de fabriquer ces minis enveloppes personnalisées avec les noms de la famille, décorées sur les thèmes de Noël, Halloween par exemple et pourquoi pas des journaux et magazines modèles réduits.

The postman game was a great joy for the girls and it's easy to DIY, tiny envelopes, painted numbers on a cardboard, moving arrow. Funny to personalize with family names, decorated envelopes with Halloween, Christmas themes, mini newspapers or magazines.




I already made some of them for upcoming DIY gifts.




J'ai commencé à fabriquer de mini-enveloppes avec les modèles de la maison, il me reste à construire une grande boîte postale et le plateau de présentation des chiffres avec la flèche.


Still have to build the mail box and the board with numbers and an arrow to be ready for first school class next autumn.


The French post office now offers new services, postman can take care of your old parents visiting them regularly!  On the other hand the price of stamps have exploded, sending letters and postcards has become a luxury (don't talk about a parcel in Europe first price : 15 €) and the letters still needed four days to cross the river! I'm far from the world of cheap mail exchanges I wish for.

Stay posted!



3 commentaires:

  1. I never had one of those Post Office sets but I would have adored it! I loved writing letters and making cards. My Dad used to collect stamps when we were little but not any more as so few people send personal mail now. One stamp for posting in the UK is now 70p which seems like so much money!
    This is one reason I send all my friends the beautiful e-cards from Jacquie Lawson's website!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Great post Nadine. A post office game sounds fun for children and easy to make envelopes and stamps etc. Pretty embroidered envelope from Debbie, Easy clues for the game and town, I was looking for I don´t know what and of course didn´t find it !

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. My children has a post office set and had many happy hours playing with it.

    RépondreSupprimer