dimanche 2 août 2020

YOU CHOOSE 08/20


Welcome to "The people choose", it's Jo's SAL about what you want to see on blogs. First Saturday of the month, you can share with your stitching friends a post whose topic has been put to the vote.


This month's theme is : Freedom.

I will begin with an advice of DD3 : "free of right" and the free I'm actually stitching is from DMC to offer a cornflower for Clare's Church Christmas Tree.


The second one is about "freedom of speech" and was on line in 2015 
among of a lot of drawings (Paris Charlie Hebdo attacks).


The blog is named : les broderies de Marilyn



On the fabric side, liberty is a fabric I love and in the 80's was the one chosen by my cousin for her wedding and the children "bridemaids and bestman". DD1 and DD2 had nice dresses for this party.



My aunt used to offer to the married couple a couple of dolls wearing the same clothes in memory of that day.


Some years later, I reused part of a skirt to make those place mats.





Here is my first attempt for a fabric doll,
I offered my older sister.















Freedom and Liberty, here Liberty is linked to the statue of Auguste Bartholdi, you'll find all about it on line, I only will add some pictures of Colmar (F.A. Bartholdi town museum).





Here is Gustave Eiffel who was part of the project.



My cross stitching encyclopedia proposes this chart I think would be nice to stitch.


In Paris, you can search for all the statues, here are some :
"L'île aux cygnes" - Swan island - Paris XVe


Musée d'Orsay -  Orsay  Muséum - VIIe

Jardins du Luxembourg - VIe


Entrée du musée des Arts et Métiers - IIIe


Statue "le Centaure" de César - place Michel Debré - VIe

Liberty is the first part of our national motto.

Writen on the front of each townhall... even in Breton !  It may inspire me for a next "photo challenge"  from classic to modern.


Not for one's week holiday challenge but for an all year long theme challenge as I do for house number plates / door knockers / streets name plates, I'll show you one day.







Can't resist to a little "shoehorn"  chapter...  for those who plays Animal Crossing, there is in the museum a painting from Eugène Delacroix  (de-from  la-the croix-cross) xxx ;)  "la liberté guidant le peuple" - Liberty guiding people".




2021 will be I hope, as 2015/2017/2019 a "tour de France" year, so the theme is already chosen : colors and painters!

After the shoehorn, you'll have to use oven mitaines for this last yummy chapter because one of my shortbread mold is the statue of Liberty.



I'll need you to help me for a better "stitched" version of Emma Lazarus poem...

Give me your charts, your fabric
Your colored threads yearning to be stitched
The busy needles of your eager hands

... Send these, ...???(cross stitchers and bloggers)???..., to me

I lift my lamp beside the WIP basket!



4 commentaires:

  1. Thank you for taking part in The People's Choice this month. This is a wonderful interpretation of the theme, I love everything you have posted.
    Of course, Lady Liberty is actually French, you should claim her back!
    Your version of the poem is most appropriate, we should chart it and stitch it.
    The shortbread looks lovely too.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Freedom is a perfect post for you after France's celebrations in July. Je suis Charlie is so important.

    I love the flower you have stitched for the tree, thank you bisous

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. You chose a great selection of freedom themed stitching and photos.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Great month of Freedom! The placemats and doll you made look great, such nice memories.
    Lady Liberty is a beautiful sight to see in NY, especially up close.

    RépondreSupprimer